Thursday, February 25, 2010

"You be the prince and I'll be the princess"

I sat watching an 8 year old sing a song by Taylor Swift at a rehearsal for my daughter's talent show the other night. She was adorable. Little red ringlets filled her head and her voice was sweet. I sat trying to figure out the words for she had a little lisp as she sang & I have never heard the song before. But I did get the gist of the song...it was about a girl waiting for her prince. How her mom & dad don't approve of the prince but she loved him anyway. She was going to wait for him & they were planning on running away together. The story of Romeo and Juliet.

It was quite obvious that this little girl loved this song. In fact, as I was watching I noticed other little girls of EVERY age mouthing the words. Even the mom's.

I believe it is in every woman's heart to be the princess. We desire this prince to pursue us and whisk us away to live happily ever after. It's true. Really.

This is a beautiful trait in a woman. I believe God gave us this desire to want to be pursued.

But, I have found that a lot of us "girls" are often dissapointed when this pursuing never really occurs. At first it seems like a fairy tale, happily ever after...yet things get old. Relationships die, people walk away when it gets hard. This high doesn't always last forever.

I have been married for 15 years now. I married the man of my dreams. He really loves & takes care of me in ways that I don't even understand sometimes. Yet, even though we have a fantastic relationship it sometimes gets stagnet. I think he'd agree. We just go about life and sometimes forget about who we really are and what we each desire. We have to remember. We have to make an effort to keep the flame glowing.

Most relationships fail due to these facts.

This is not the case with our God, our Heavenly Father. He pursues us endlessly. He desires & loves us unconditionally. He will be the only true prince in your life. No matter how far and wide you search. He is always there for you...just waiting...waiting for your Love.

"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalm 73:26

Those around you might fail you, they might hurt you, but God is all you need. His love lasts forever. Sing to him, "You be the prince and I'll be the princess..."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree completely. Doesn't the song go..."Jesus, lover of my soul..Jesus, I will never let you go.."?

I think there is equal pursuit in a love relationship with God. He pursues us from the very beginning, despite the choices we make in lieu of him. We also have the responsibility of pursuing Him as well. He wants us to choose Him. He wants us to run to Him when we are joyful, full of praise and even when we need to leave our burdens at His cross. We are to equally pursue Him because He is worthy of the pursuit as we are worthy of his love and acceptance, no matter the state of our lives.

I think the misconception that most young girls have is that the false representation of love that the world gives in no way compares to the love God provides for us, if only we reach for it.

If we take the time...I should say MAKE the time to teach our daughters and even those grown women in our lives that God's love fills us and that is what makes us desirable...it would change our community and our influence as women of God.

Yours Truly said...

I went to the edge retreat and after found this video. I think it totally relates to what you taught us. You'll totally regret doing things with boys once you realize that God disagrees with what you've done.
Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUTS_vOCS14&feature=related